Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Tour of my Humble Abode




I cannot believe I have already been here for two weeks. Classes began and I already have a ridiculous amount of reading to complete in the next two weeks. My supervisors are really interesting and nice. I had no idea how much my dissertation topic fit into the new initiative made by the Centre for the Study of Both World Wars is creating. War and religion are both key in their joint partnership with Birmingham University. Now my reason for admittance has become increasingly clear. As for the city, it is such a wonderful place. I have seen a few things, but still have a lot of other things to adventure out and try in the upcoming year. Now for the subject of my blog tonight. I would like to make an introduction to my residence hall, which in itself is an experience.

I live in a series of buildings on the Royal Mile known as Mylne's Court. They are a series of converted tenement buildings made to accomodate students and purchased for that purpose by the University of Edinburgh in the 1960s. However, my particular building Patrick Geddes Hall is known as the oldest student flat in Scotland. It was an idea from medical(?) professor Patrick Geddes in 1887. My particular dorm is five stories and yes I have absolutely no elevator or lift. It does provide a spectacular view of Princes Street and New Town.

The series of building's in Mylne's Court creates a maze of sorts. Adjoined to New College which is a section of the University that specializes in Divinity and history of the Church of Scotland. The structure of New College creates a close or small allyway which connects the buildings. There is also a back garden behind my dorm that is only accessed by students of New College or Mylne's Court. There is even a secret tunnel. Yes that is right. The common room in the other buildings has a little side room with mailboxes. There is a set of double doors almost always locked. But on rare occassions like our orientation meeting for Mylne's Court extra space is needed. Those double doors unlock to enter into a grand hallway with the huge black and white tile floors and portriats of past headmasters. This hallway leads to New College's dining hall which is like a miniature version of the grand halls found at Oxford and Cambridge.

Now living here is pretty amazing, but there is drawbacks. The tourists pose a problem because they are always lost and needing directions. Tour groups stop in front of our building which is a little unnerving when your dragging laundry down street. Laundry itself costs about three pounds for a load which is about six dollars in American dollars. But I look forward to an interesting time here in my flat with my four other flat mates and the best view of the city. I wish everyone in much warmer climates the best, until next time!

1 comment:

Lesley Harrison said...

I had no idea it would cost so much to do laundry. You better make ever load count. :)