Thursday, September 13, 2007

Break Down in Paris-- My Adventure Getting to Edinburgh

So... finally I have an internet connection in which I can post on. I feel that it is appropriate I start from the beginning. So tonight I am going to share with you the experience I had getting to Edinburgh.

I left was at the Gulfport/BIloxi Airport at 4:30 am because I went for the cheap tickets. (When I say cheap tickets I mean VERY cheap tickets.) It was hard saying goodbye to my parents and Edward. How do you say goodbye to someone that you will not see for a year? Getting through airport security with my huge carry-on, pillow, and laptop was tricky. I also had a gallon bag full of "liquids and gels" which I had to downsize because a quart bag is all we're allowed. As the plane left the airport it was very nice because the sun was just rising, but the street lights were twinkling. I made sure to get one last glance at home.

Altanta was quite boring. I had a seven hour layover (again the cheap tickets). I sat at one gate for four hours only to find out that we were leaving from a gate on the opposite side of the airport. The wait was just so long... I completed several Sodoku puzzles to say the least. The flight borded on time, but taxied around for awhile. Not a good sign for my hour layover in Paris. The flight went alright. Not too big of a plane so we experienced some turbulence. I watched the movies Georgia Rules and Spiderman 3. I also viewed an episode of Heroes, which was really strange especially after six hours of flight.

We arrived to Charles DeGaulle at 6:15 am their time. Again the plane taxied around. Deboarding took forever because I was in the second to last row on an International flight. (Yes again the cheap tickets) I rushed as fast as I could through the buses, had my passport stamped twice for some reason, and went back through security only to have my bag checked and to be patted down. I missed my connecting flight from Paris to Edinburgh. The next flight was seven hours later....

Hence the beginning of my breaking point. All the doubts of this decision began dancing around my exhausted brain. I began fearing a drastic rise in the dollar pound exchange. I was scared that I would not be able to handle the cold or the coursework. I feared arriving in the city and trying to get my bags into my room. In the middle of my breakdown I called Edward. Bad idea because he caused me to worry about my bags which he had shipped for me the day before. I was concerned because I thought if the bags arrived before me that they would be returned to sender. So yes, you guessed it... I cried in the Paris Airport. I think if I would have been offered the opportunity to cut my loses and return home I may have taken it. But there was no turning back.

The excrusiatingly long lay over did end and I did make it to Edinburgh. Getting through customs, collecting my luggage, and getting to my accomodation was the easiest part of the trip. The day I arrived in the city was beautiful. The airport shuttle drove into the city and I saw all the site of Edinburgh I love so much. Arthur's seat still stood over the city. I was deposited on the side of the Royal Mile where I was greeting my the residence staff and I did not even have to carry my cases up five flights of stairs.

My room faces Prince's Street and the view I have is the best. (Reference my first post... yes that picture is my view!) I discovered my AT&T phone card was not working properly so in order to tell my parents I was alive, I had to find a UK phone card. So with all the travel grunge I walked down the Royal Mile and for the first time in a long time.. I wasn't worried about anything. The sun sparkled off of the cobblestone streets and the breeze was such a relief after the hours I had been cramped inside. It was if the city had waited patiently for me to return four years later and greeted me like a long lost friend. For that rare and special moment in time I knew the drastic decision I have made was the right one.

No comments: