Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Preparing for Take Off


So I am on the verge of the biggest adventure of my twenty-three years. I will be completing a year abroad at the University of Edinburgh in the capital city of Scotland. I will be a natural Mississippi girl joining the ranks of the many prestigious people who walked the hallowed halls of the best University in Scotland. Robert Louis Stevenson (author of Treasure Island), Charles Darwin, and honorary alumni J.K. Rowling just to name a few.

However, the past few days these exciting details have been far away from my mind with trip preperations. Packing for a year away in a different climate and an exchange rate where I automatically lose half of my budget have been keeping me up at night. Arriving to this point has been a long hard road. When I fell in love with Scotland four years ago I had no idea I loved it enough to return to it, leaving behind the only home I ever known. After half a dozen failed scholarship applications and turning down one of my top US choice grad schools, I decided that I would always reget not taking this opportunity. Things work out for the best. I have a partial scholarship, a federal student loan, and some very fortunate savings to get me through my year.

Come join me for my adventure. I will post bi-weekly every Sunday and Wednesday I can. Hear about my travels to exciting locations such as the French Riviera, Amsterdam, and Croatia to name a few. Feel the cold breeze of the North Sea as I go to meet my advisors which are some of the most respected in field of modern history. Learn of my cultural mishaps and wrong turns. All you have to do is read on and enjoy the ride!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck, Mandy! I'll be thinking about you and following your adventures. Take good care of yourself and give everything and everyone in Scotland a big "hello" from me. I wish I were with you. Study hard...but have fun too. This will be one of the best experiences of your life.
Best Wishes,
Susan Bourland

Kristi said...

Hey girl! You're going to have SO much fun! It will be cool to read your blog and hear about your travels and stuff. Be safe and have a great time! :)

Unknown said...

Ahhh!!! Mandy!! you give me chills just thinking about all the fun your going to have!!! I miss you already!!! Have a great time and we will set times to video chat if we ever figure out how to use it:) Love you forever! Have a blast!

Sara said...

This is so exciting, Mandy! I hope you're having a great time so far, and I can't wait to keep up with your adventure via your blog.