Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Dear, Green Place"--Glasgow in Brief




I am lucky enough to go to a Uni that bolsters a huge International Student population to entertain. Every Saturday the International Student Center sponsors trips to various place. This weekend I accompanied my flatmate to Glasgow. Touring a large city, a day is hardly ever enough. However, after this trip I am very content in the fact that I did not decide to go to The University of Glasgow.

We began our journey from the Edinburgh Bus Station in New Town around 10 am and pulled into Glasgow's station by 11. The trip was actually shorter than the distance between Hattiesburg and Biloxi, Mississippi. There was a lot of chaos leaving the station becasue Glasgow was so crowded!!! We walked through the main shopping district and through the city center. I broke my rule (no eating at American establishments abroad) and had Subway for lunch because corporation had already sunk it's claws into the streets of the city.

The first cool thing we saw was the City Chambers built in 1888. It was a beautiful building with a WWII monument in the front and statues comemorating Sir Walter Scott. It was very impressive, but out of place in the gridlocked streets.

After a further hike through the city we came to the Cathedral. Which was the only thing that I actually knew was in Glasgow besides the University. It was actually very nice. Not as big as Canterbury, Wincester, or Westminster. It had great stained glass windows and statues so detailed they made me a little nervous. It is one of the only gothic cathedrals to survive the Scottish reformation. Today the religion that worships there is the Church of Scotland or Presbyterian. We also found a street fair with all kinds of booths and live music. My mouth watered as I noticed a crepe tent with huge jars of Nutella. We settled for a coffee break.

Eventually we just walked to the River Clyde and back to the bus station. All in all the weather was beautiful and the city was not too intimidating even with the high murder rate and the old ladies who wore mini skirts. I'm sorry there is not too much to say, except that the symbol for the city is the trout and Nae Botha! (Glasgoegian for no bother!/Your welcome)

1 comment:

Joble said...

I defy any statue to look portentous and dignified with a traffic cone on it's head! That example is particularly impressive though. Whoever the statue is to, they've now become something bigger than they were in life. Or at least taller. Without a doubt more orange... Orangier? No, no that's not right...